If you didn’t already know, this week (23rd-29th March 2015) is Meat Free Week in the UK and Australia. Cutting down on meat and eating responsibly sourced meat, fish and dairy is something I feel is really important. So, I thought I’d make this week’s recipe a simple vegetarian treat (you can find more meat-free dishes on the blog here) to support the campaign.
Most bread making involves kneading until you break into a sweat, but not this lovely sweet apple and nut bread. It would make a lovely weekend treat – perfect for breakfast, toasted with a pot of tea (or coffee).
Watch the video to see how it’s done!
No knead apple and nut bread
Makes 1 loaf
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Baking time – 50-60 minutes
100g sunflower seeds
100g pumpkin seeds
200g almonds, hazelnuts or walnuts
100g dried apple, chopped into bits
150g milled flaxseeds
1.5 tbsp caraway seeds
1 tsp salt
1 loaf tin, lined with baking paper
1. Preheat the oven to 180c (fan).
2. Mix all the ingredients together.
3. Pour into baking tin and level out.
4. Bake for 50 minutes/an hour or until it is firmed and sound hollow when hit.
5. Leave to cool completely until you slice it (while warm it’s still very fragile).
This bread keeps very well for several days and is very good toasted.